1954, London (UK), as Commission phytosanitaire interafricaine, following recommendations, 1951, of FAO; the secretariat was supported by the then ‘Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux (CAB)’, currently CAB International.
In 1960, became part of the then Commission for Technical Cooperation in Africa South of the Sahara (CTCA), which was transformed in 1965 into the Scientific, Technical and Research Commission of the Organization of African Unity (OAU/STRC).
IAPSC was thus legally part of Organization of African Unity (OAU) and is also known by the initials OAU-STRC-IAPSC.
Currently part of African Union (AU). Secretariat transferred to Yaoundé (Cameroon) in 1967.
In English also referred to as Inter-African Phyto-Sanitary Council.